Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ore-Gone

White sand?? Yes please!



I have found the recipe for a great mini-vacation. It includes the following:
-Rock climbing
-A beach
-Flying a kite
-Climbing up to the top of a lighthouse
-Fresh fish and chips overlooking the harbor
-Car games
-oh... and laughing till you cry.

I went to Oregon for a few days to visit my friend Dustin. He recently moved to Salem, so the day after my finals were over, I went to go visit him! We had such a blast. We drove to Portland for rock climbing at this great bouldering gym called The Circuit. I'm embarrassed to say that my shoulders are still a little sore. What a blast though. Then the next day, we gassed up his car and drove to the Oregon Coast. We went to Newport beach. It was gorgeous, and much warmer than we anticipated it being. (Warmer = about 40 degrees.)

This is right next to the lighthouse, overlooking the ocean.
Possibly my favorite picture of all time- we went to the tide pools below the lighthouse.
Dustin looks like he's six.

Here's the lighthouse. It wasn't that fabulous of a view, to be honest, but the tour guides made up for it. (I had to keep myself from looking at Dustin because I knew if I did I would burst out in laughter.)

When we first pulled into the beach.

We had super yummy fish and chips overlooking the harbor, we climbed to the top of a working lighthouse, and attempted to fly a kite that we purchased. There was literally NO wind. I forced Dustin to try and fly it though, because I figured that we bought this stupid little octopus kite, and therefore we are going to at least try. You know? So Dustin just started sprinting around the beach yelling "Katy! It's working! It's working!" I was trying to take pictures but had tears streaming down my face from laughing.

Dustin and our octopus.
Down on the beach.

All in all, it was a super fun little vacation. Neither of us had been to the Oregon coast in years, so it was fun for both of us. And it was also nice to take a break and just have fun after weeks of sitting in that stinkin' Western library.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Super cute pics! Glad you had a good time =)