Saturday, June 6, 2009

Venice!

Yesterday sucked. Lets be honest. We had a stressful few moments on the train ride over here (I wanted to cry. Matt was fine though, of course) A certain someone was in an awful mood all day, and I was hungry and feeling extremely dirty and gross after using the mens bathroom on our train ride... Translation- I wasnt happy either. Then we got to our extravagant hotel. We're talking five stars, overlooking the canals of Venice. Soooo gorgeous. Welp, wouldn't that have been nice? Our actual home: A cheap little campsite. The first thing I said to Matt was that it looked like a cult site. All the cabins are built the exact same. There are rows and rows of them. Too funny. :) But we're actually really enjoying it! Theres a big swimming pool and restaurant on the campus, along with a tiny supermarket, volleyball courts etc. etc. But basically last night was spent doing this:

Today we walked around Venice for hours. We loved it! Venice is totally our type of city. There were lots of little shops and San Marco was absolutely gorgeous. Oh my word. It's hard to describe the beauty. We had lunch and dinner in the city at a couple little restaurants overlooking the canals, and we enjoyed some live music when we were by San Marco. It was a great day! Its amazing to us that this city is run primarily by use of the water. We took about a million pictures of the flowers, canals, boats and gorgeous churches and old buildings. A day well spent.


We changed our travel plans a bit. Tomorrow instead of going to Geneva, we are going to take a train to Milan. After we spend one night in Milan, we will be going up to Paris where we will (hopefully) stay with a friend of Matt's. Our Paris plans aren't working out anymore, so we are crossing our fingers and praying that this will work. Unfortunately for us, we are still poor college students, so a free place to stay would be just lovely. :)


Oh... I almost forgot. I had the most glorious cappuccino today. The glass was covered in nutella or chocolate or something. I dont know. It sounds like sugar overload, I know, but it was amazing! Then the caffé was poured inside along with five or six real hazelnuts. I had no idea what I was ordering, I just saw the word hazelnut (in Italian) and knew I wanted it. It was amazing. This is a real silly thing to post, I know, but it was heaven. Absolutely wonderful.

(Oh, and dont mind my hair. Matt thought it would be super funny to just not let me know abouot that. Gotta love backpacking and looking like a trainwreck the whole time...) ;)

Okay. We're off. Tonight we are going to hang out with our new friends from Wyoming, and then we are going to pack up and get ready to head out tomorrow. Love you all, miss you so much!


Katy & Matt

5 comments:

Kitty said...

Awwww! I so want to be there! That cappucino looks delicious! You guys look great! Thanks for updating the blog. Love you!

Arleen said...

I checked this morning but no update and then I decided to check once more even though it was just minutes later. BINGO!! There it was. I have only seen your fantastic destinations in travel videos or magazines. It is so much fun to see them on the blogsite through your eyes.

Conne Pursley said...

Yah that cappucino looks great and what are you talking about with your hair (we are such a girls to be talking about hair when you're in Venice)? My first thought was how great it looked :). Paris will be great, I'm sure, and Dan and I will pray that you see how the Lord cares for you by finding a place to stay!
Love you and miss you!

KAMILLE said...

coffee is never a silly thing to post about. Hope Paris works for you. ben & I went to the Museum de Orssey and I had the most amazing strawberry tart in a patisserie near the Notre Dame Cathedral. You have to enjoy the pastries there is anything, plus the subway system is the best. so glad you're enjoying your journey.

Kelsey and Andy said...

First I'm sure I like that Coug shirt MATT! and Katy you know you never look like a train wreck! Your so stinkin cute!!! Venice is amazing isn't it???
I like the picture of you guys "reading" I'm pretty sure Andy and I have that same picture!